We're considering various options (like using a combination of trac and github, or trac with a git plugin). The following are some features we would like in whatever system we choose.
- Everything is possible through an e-mail interface
- Inline code comments
- Easy hosting and low administrative effort
- User-editable e-mail subscriptions based on component, file, keywords....
- Ability to delete your own patches and edit your own comments
- Ability to request a reviewer
- Currently in trac (0.11) if you're working on a comment and someone else makes a comment before you post, you need to manually resubmit after an initial failure
- The flexibility to add our own fields, like dependencies
- Easy for current developers to transition, easy for new developers to get involved.
- Useful reports
- We should have options if our hosting service goes down
- There should be ways to migrate to another system if we choose to move again
- Integration between trac server and source control
- Integration with patchbot
- Programmable API -- easy for us to interface with our own scripts
- Inline comments are preserved locally
Various options we've considered:
- Trac + Github
- Trac + Inline comments plugin + Git plugin