converted to 1.6 markup
|No differences found!|
Sage on Virtual PC
This web page is about using Sage via Virtual PC instead of VMware.
- Build sage-3.1.4 with *no* packages changed under ubuntu 5.10 with their compiler.
- Run the test suite with "make check". If everything passes, I'm really confused.
- If things fail, then almost certainly, we have a bad compiler.
- Take a clean sage, extract it, type make and wait a few seconds (until you see GMP being built), then hit control-c.
- Now build GCC (4.2.1, which *is* GPL-2 as we checked; GCC 4.3.? is GPL-3 so watch out!) and its dependencies
sage -i gmp-4.2.2.p1.fake mpfr-2.3.2
Then build GCC:
wget http://sagemath.org/packages/optional/gcc-4.2.1.spkg tar jxvf gcc-4.2.1.spkg ./sage -sh cd gcc-4.2.1 ./spkg-install
We have to do the above instead of just sage -i gcc-4.2.1.spkg because of some weird bug.
- Now tell Sage to start build process from scratch by typing
then build everything else by typing "make".
- Test this and ensure it works 100%
- Now do 4-7 again, but with the GPLv3 packages replaced by GPLv2 versions:
gnutls gsl opencdk libgcrypt libgpg_error
cd spkg/standard rm gnutls-2.2.1.p1.spkg gsl-1.10.p1.spkg opencdk-0.6.6.spkg libgcrypt-1.4.0.p2.spkg libgpg_error-1.6.p0.spkg [email protected]:~/sage-3.1.4/spkg/standard$ cp ~/sage-2.10/spkg/standard/gnutls-1.6.3.spkg ~/sage-2.10/spkg/standard/opencdk-0.5.9.spkg ~/sage-2.10/spkg/standard/gsl-1.9.spkg ~/sage-2.10/spkg/standard/libgcrypt-1.2.4.spkg ~/sage-2.10/spkg/standard/libgpg_error-1.5.spkg .
[email protected]:~/sage-3.1.4/spkg/installed$ rm * [email protected]:~/sage-3.1.4/spkg/installed$ cd ../.. [email protected]:~/sage-3.1.4$ sleep 6000; make check
IP Address: 220.127.116.11
GPLv3 License Issues
For those with an allergy to (L)GPLv3, the following is how to make a Sage that works and doesn't have any (L)GPLv3 code or binaries.
- Use Ubuntu 5.10, from 2005. Go to /usr/share/common-licenses; no GPL-3 in Ubuntu 5.10, but it is in Ubuntu 7.10. In Ubuntu 7.10 the only GPLv3 thing is binutils.
cd /usr/share/doc grep -i gpl-3 */copyright
On 7.10 this reveals only binutils, but nothing on 5.10.make
The microsoft Virtual PC version of Sage should include GDB, since it is handy to have for debuging cython code.
Install termcap: http://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/termcap/termcap-1.3.1.tar.gz Install gdb: http://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/gdb/gdb-6.6.tar.bz2
Both of the above are GPLv2.
Just install it. Note that "Shared network" is impossible... etc.