|Deletions are marked like this.||Additions are marked like this.|
|Line 3:||Line 3:|
|This is supposed to be a high-level overview and list of functionality that is easily available
from the standard SAGE interface. The idea is to basically *NOT* say "can do what GAP does".
Instead describe actually functionalitty. Imagine a reader who has never heard of Maxima,
GAP, Singular, Givaro, etc.
|This is a high-level overview and list of functionality that is easily available from the standard SAGE interface. (The intended reader has never heard of Maxima, GAP, Singular, Givaro, etc.)|
|Line 66:||Line 63:|
|* Extensive support for arithmetic with a range of different models of p-adic arithmetic.|
What SAGE Can Do
This is a high-level overview and list of functionality that is easily available from the standard SAGE interface. (The intended reader has never heard of Maxima, GAP, Singular, Givaro, etc.)
- SAGE has fairly complete symbolic manipulation capabilities, including symbolic and numerical integration, differentiation, limits, etc.
- A wide range of basic functionality.
- Fast computation of Groebner basis.
- Classical ciphers are well supported.
- The SAGE notebook (a graphical interface) is a useful tool for basic math education because of its flexible visualization/output capabilities.
- Very fast arithmetic over finite fields and extensions of finite fields (especially up to cardinality 2^16).
- A web-browser based graphical interface, which anybody can easily use or share. The GUI can also be used for any math software that SAGE interfaces with.
- A wiki with math typesetting preconfigured.
- Permutations groups
- Abelian groups
- Matrix groups (in particular, classical groups over finite fields)
- Interpreter interfaces to Axiom, CoCoA, GAP, KASH, Macaulay2, Magma, Maple, Mathematica, Matlab, Maxima, MuPAD, Octave, and Singular.
- C/C++-library interfaces to NTL, PARI, Linbox, and mwrank.
- Compute the reduced row echelon form of e.g. dense 20,000x20,000 matrices over GF(2) in seconds and 50MB of RAM.
- Computation of reduced row echelon forms of sparse matrices.
- Fast matrix multiplication, characteristic polynomial and echelon forms of dense matrices over QQ.
- Compute Mordell-Weil groups of (many) elliptic curves using both invariants and algebraic 2-descents.
- A wide range of number theoretic functions, e.g., euler_phi, primes enumeration, sigma, tau_qexp, etc.
- Compute the number of points on an elliptic curve modulo p for all primes p less than a million in seconds.
- Optimized implementation of the Schoof-Elkies-Atkin point counting algorithm for counting points modulo p when p is large.
- An optimized modern quadratic Sieve for factoring integers n = p*q.
- Modular symbols for general weight, character, Gamma1, and GammaH.
Modular forms for general weight >= 2, character, Gamma1, and GammaH.
- Fast arithmetic and special functions with double precision real and complex numbers.
- Matrix and vector arithmetic, QR decomposition, system solving.
- Extensive support for arithmetic with a range of different models of p-adic arithmetic.
- SAGE provides 2d plotting functionality similar to Mathematica's.
- SAGE provides limited 3d plotting via an included ray tracer.
- State of the art support for computing with lattice polytopes.
- Exact convex hulls in any dimension can be quickly computed (requires the optional polymake package).