|Deletions are marked like this.||Additions are marked like this.|
|Line 64:||Line 64:|
|* Exact convex hulls can be quickly computed using polymake and the cddlib library.||* Exact convex hulls in any dimension can be quickly computed using polymake and the cddlib library.|
What SAGE Can Do
This is supposed to be a high-level overview and list of functionality that is easily available from the standard SAGE interface. In particular, don't list functionality that is only available, e.g., by directly calling GAP or other systems. Also, this is aimed at people who have never heard of programs like GAP, Singular, etc., and don't care how SAGE does things -- they just want to know exactly what SAGE can do.
- Fast computation of Groebner basis.
- Classical ciphers are well supported.
- The SAGE notebook (a graphical interface) is a useful tool for basic math education because of its flexible visualization/output capabilities.
- Basic arithmetic over finite extension fields is fast because of the Givaro library.
- A web-browser based graphical interface, which anybody can easily use or share. The GUI can also be used for any math software that SAGE interfaces with.
- A wiki with math typesetting preconfigured.
- Interpreter interfaces to Axiom, CoCoA, GAP, KASH, Macaulay2, Magma, Maple, Mathematica, Matlab, Maxima, MuPAD, Octave, and Singular.
- C/C++-library interfaces to NTL, PARI, Linbox, and mwrank.
- Compute the reduced row echelon form of e.g. dense 20,000x20,000 matrices over GF(2) in seconds and 50MB of RAM.
- Computation of reduced row echelon forms of sparse matrices.
- Fast matrix multiplication, characteristic polynomial and echelon forms of dense matrices over QQ.
- Compute Mordell-Weil groups of (many) elliptic curves using both invariants and algebraic 2-descents.
- A wide range of number theoretic functions, e.g., euler_phi, primes enumeration, sigma, tau_qexp, etc.
- Compute the number of points on an elliptic curve modulo p for all primes p less than a million in seconds.
- Optimized implementation of the SEA point counting algorithm for counting points modulo p when p is large.
- An optimized modern quadratic Sieve for factoring integers n = p*q.
- Modular symbols for general weight, character, Gamma1, and GammaH.
Modular forms for general weight >= 2, character, Gamma1, and GammaH.
- Fast arithmetic and special functions with double precision real and complex numbers.
- Matrix and vector arithmetic, QR decomposition, system solving.
- SAGE provides 2d plotting functionality similar to Mathematica's.
- SAGE provides limited 3d plotting via an included ray tracer.
- Exact convex hulls in any dimension can be quickly computed using polymake and the cddlib library.