Python is a dynamic object-oriented programming language that can be used for many kinds of software development. It offers strong support for integration with other languages and tools, comes with extensive standard libraries, and can be learned in a few days. Many Python programmers report substantial productivity gains and feel the language encourages the development of higher quality, more maintainable code.
For more details see http://www.python.org
Python is licensed under the PSF LICENSE. The Python license imposes very few restrictions on what you can do with Python. Most of the source code is copyrighted by the Python Software Foundation (PSF). A few files have a different copyright owner, but the same license applies to all of them. Python's licesning is GPL compatible.
For more details see http://www.python.org/psf/license/
- Michael Abshoff
- William Stein
There are a large number of cimmunity resources. For more details see http://www.python.org/community/
Special Update/Build Instructions
- Remove src/Lib/distutils/command/wininst-6.exe and src/Lib/distutils/command/wininst-7.1.exe. Once we support Windows we will likely need to add them back in.
- We used to block parallel MAKE, but extensive testing [make -j64] showed that there is no longer any problem. Should it rear its ugly head again we will disable it again.
python-2.5.2.p8 (Michael Abshoff, September 24th, 2008)
- disable parallel make install
python-2.5.2.p7 (Robert Miller, International Talk Like a Pirate Day, 2008)
- 'oist th' fwrapv option on itanium, ya landlubber what deserves the black spot!
python-2.5.2.p6 (Michael Abshoff, September 14th, 2008)
- disable pymalloc if SAGE_VALGRIND is set to "yes"
- since we now support parallel building of python sleep three seconds before testing for a working python
python-2.5.2.p5 (Michael Abshoff, August 30th, 2008)
- also disabled OSX extensions on 32 bit Darwin
python-2.5.2.p4 (Michael Abshoff, August 25th, 2008)
- Set LDFLAGS and CPPFLAGS to pick up Sage's readline (#3947)
python-2.5.2.p3 (Michael Abshoff, July 9th, 2008)
- remove -fwrapv from the build flags for Itanium
python-2.5.2.p2 (Michael Abshoff, May 28th, 2008)
- reenable parallel make again (Gary Furnish, #3322)
python-2.5.2.p1 (Michael Abshoff, May 28th, 2008)
- Improve OSX 64 bit support even more (#3318)
python-2.5.2.p0 (Michael Abshoff, May 18th, 2008)
- Improve OSX 64 but build support
python-2.5.2 (Michael Abshoff, March 26th, 2008)
- upgrade to the 2.5.2 release
- clean up SPKG.txt
- add 64 bit OSX 10.5 build support
- make sure SAGE_LOCAL is set (#633)
python-2.5.1.p14 (Michael Abshoff, March. 28th, 2008)
- Fix OSX 10.5 detection code to handle 10.5.2 and higher (#2672)
python-2.5.1.p13 (Michael Abshoff, Jan. 22st, 2008)
- remove executables from tarball
python-2.5.1.p12 (Michael Abshoff, Jan. 21st, 2008)
- update patches/local.py (fixes #1604, fixed by William Stein)
python-2.5.1.p11 (Michael Abshoff)
- enable ucs4 per default
- add .hgignore
- Details of this and prior releases are lost to history.