From the IPython website:
IPython is a multiplatform, Free Software project (BSD licensed) that offers:
- An enhanced Python shell designed for efficient interactive work. It includes many enhancements over the default Python shell, including the ability for controlling interactively all major GUI toolkits in a non-blocking manner.
- A library to build customized interactive environments using Python as the basic language (but with the possibility of having extended or alternate syntaxes).
- A system for interactive distributed and parallel computing (this is part of IPython's new development).
- Mike Hanson
- Michael Abshoff
Special Update/Build Instructions
- None for the current release
ipython-0.8.4.p0 (Mike Hansen July 15, 2008)
- update to the official 0.8.4 release
ipython-0.8.2.p0 (Michael Abshoff, May 11, 2008)
add hg repo & .hgignore
- clean up spkg-install
- make sure SAGE_LOCAL is defined (#633)
ipython-0.8.2 (Burcin Erocal, May 11, 2008)
- update to the official IPython 0.8.2 release
- remove workaround patches