Hardware to buy with NSF grant
I am going to put a range of computers on the LAN in my office for SAGE developers. Please put suggestions here about possible computers to buy:
- a mac pro: 2 Quad-core Xeons with lots of RAM
- an itanium-based machine (???)
- a g5 mac (good deals online somewhere?)
- 64-bit AMD processor (but we already have one -- it's sage.math, right?)
- Linux on PPC?
- Linux on Intel processor
- Windows on Intel and AMD
- 64 bit AMD Athlon (Dual Core)
- 32 bit AMD Athlon (Dual Core)
- 64 bit Pentium 4 (Dual Core)
- 32 bit Pentium 4 (Dual Core)
- Machine with 64 bit Alpha processor
- Core Duo
For PARI, from Bill A. I think at this point what we really lack is ppc64 hardware, e.g. a G5 running in 64bit mode. Having buildlog for ppc64 would be nice, see <http://pari.math.u-bordeaux.fr/buildlog.html> for what we currently have. Having access to a Core 2 Mac could be also useful. I also have so plan to add level0 assembly kernel for ARM processors (at least for those which support 32x32->64bit multiply). I don't know if people are actually running PARI/GP on their PDA.